Sunday 6 July 2008

Jeremy

Focus Features offers grant for African filming

Focus Features has established a new programme, Africa First, which offers participating filmmakers the chance of a US$10,000 award to finance the production and/or post-production of a narrative short film -- so long as it is made in continental Africa and taps the resources of the African film industry. Anyone thinking of entering had better act fast -- entries have to be postmarked not later than 15 July and must arrive in the US by 31 July.

Among the conditions of entry for film makers seeking the award, the following are pertinent from the point of view of intellectual property:

"(3) I am not waiving, and this Submission Agreement will not limit, my copyright in the Project. I retain all rights to my Project pursuant to and in accordance with the Rules.

(5) I understand that because there is always the possibility that any material in the nature of story ideas or otherwise which I may submit to Sponsor may be substantially similar to ideas, formats, stories, suggestions or other material from other sources which Sponsor may have previously used or which Sponsor may hereafter wish to use and that I will not have any claim under such circumstances.

(6) I understand that Sponsor may use my name and title of the winning Project for advertising or marketing purposes of the Program.

(8) I agree that in no event shall I seek to enjoin, restrict or obtain any form of court order blocking or interfering with Sponsor's development, production, distribution, marketing, advertising or other exploitation of any motion picture...".
Further details and application form here [source: New Era, Namibia].

Jeremy

Jeremy

Subscribe via email (you'll be added to our Google Group)